Saturday, November 6, 2010

Installer Woes

Sigh.
This happened Friday before I went home.

My coworker called and said, "I have been trying to install software X for a couple hours but it just keeps saying, that it doesn't recognize it. Can you help?"
Me - "Sure. What is the exact error?"
Employee - "I don't know, I don't have it up but when I clicked the .exe it keeps giving this unrecognized error."
Me - "Your on a MAC. It should be a .dmg or other kind of file."
Employee - "No it shouldn't! I made sure to use Internet Explorer to download it..."
Me - "The... web browser doesn't matter. Your using Internet Explorer as the browser. Your using the MAC version."
Employee gets pissy - "No I just said I used Internet Explorer to download it."
Me - "I know! But that is the BROWSER. You want the file your are downloading to be the one in the mac format. Go back to the site you downloaded the file from and see if they have a MAC version."
Employee - "That is not true!"  They slam down the phone.
I shrug and move on.

20 minutes later I get an IM from another employee. "Hey... does Bejeweled work on MAC's?"
I IM them back. "Why?"
"Cause so and so is trying to install it to the MAC but it isn't working."

Christ. It wasn't even a damn work program!

No comments:

Post a Comment