Saturday, April 16, 2011

Offering to Help

So last week we had a new construction project at work. Since I no longer do this I decided I would offer my assistance when we got slow in our own group.
So I called the person in charge.
Me: "I have time, you want me to help you with the plans?"
Coworker 1 : "Uh...No. We have it well in hand."
Me: "Ok. I wasn't meaning anything by it. I just had extra time and figured-"
Coworker 1: "No we have it handled."

About 2 days later I get an email at midnight.
"Hey I know your busy but can we get your help with the construction project?"
I called the coworker and their boss answered-
Me: "I got your email I can help sure. But are you sure you need it? I called a couple days ago and asked as well but they said they had it all taken care of."
Silence...
20 seconds of complete silence.
Coworker 2: "You asked them a couple days ago?"
Me: "Ya."
Coworker 2: "Gotcha. Well why don't you help us out tomorrow."

I show up and notice an entire wall is installed backwards...an entire wall. I am not sure how anyone could have missed the fact that the fucking wrong side of the wall was showing and painted the wrong color now.

Me to Coworker 1: "The wall is...installed backwards. The facing should be towards the main room and the wall panelings facing the hallways. Instead the inner section is facing the hallway."
Coworker 1: "Hey I didn't tell them to call you and get your help. We had it taken care of."
Me: "Ya that explains the wall being installed backwards. Keep up the good work. Make sure the door has deadbolt on the outside."

God damn. Admitting you can't handle something is fine. But don't be an ass about it.

1 comment: